Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Trip

Turk’s Turkish family practically worships him. They are worried we won’t be able to visit after the second baby is born, so when they asked if Turk and I would come visit for the Kurban Bayramı, I had a hard time refusing (but I would have if my parents weren’t also in Europe).

Turk has become a professional traveler. He is patient and charms people everywhere we go (which often means not having to stand in line for security!), but traveling with an energetic baby is definitely a challenge—and not one I intend to repeat.




Istanbul

We spent a few days in Istanbul, and Turk got to see many of his extended relatives. They showered him with love and attention, and he was loving to everyone in return. I still struggle with different cultural ideas (for example, I think babies should sleep), but Turk loved his time in Istanbul.






I was most interested in experiencing my first Kurban Bayramı. From the window, I watched as several neighbors sacrificed cows in their gardens or even on the streets. I understand the symbolism behind the holiday, but I admit my stomach didn’t enjoy the experience. However, we did get to eat loads of meat for days and days after.





Turk’s family was very, very sad when he left, and I admit with my new job and new baby, I don’t know when we’ll be able to travel again.

Helsinki

When I found out my parents were going to be in Helsinki for a year, I knew I wanted to visit. I wasn’t sure how, though, with the pregnancy, but I was grateful when the opportunity arose. I enjoyed seeing my parents and their life in Finland. It was very relaxing for me, and Turk could freely wander all over their surprisingly big apartment. Turk especially loved his grandpa and always wanted to help him work on the computer.






 And we even managed to do a little sightseeing.






St. Petersburg

I’ve never been to Russia, and St. Petersburg is only a ferry ride’s away from Helsinki.



My mom was a super trooper and agreed to a whirlwind trip. The weather was dark and freezing, not so great with a baby, but we got to see the Hermitage and the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood.










I especially enjoyed eating Russian food.  Delicious!




Turk did pretty well until near the end—being confined to a stroller all day in the freezing cold can’t be fun—and he was a hit with all the babushkas that worked at the museum.

I had a great trip, but Turk and I missed E. Turk also missed his freedom, so we are retiring from travel for a long while.

5 comments:

  1. Such great pictures. You look cold! I am so impressed about your adventure to St. Petersburg. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, I guess I missed the news about the second baby--when are you due?? And congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear you & Turk had A busy yet awsome trip. Glad your home safe & sound. Tell us about your new job Is it at BYU?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I got a faculty job at BYU. I will miss being home with my babies, but it's a great opportunity and will keep us close to family for years :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds like you had a great trip. You are one amazing woman to brave all that traveling with a toddler. But, I do have to admit I am jealous of your many travels. Good luck with your new BYU job!

    ReplyDelete