I’ve gotten too complacent about my blogging. I think popping a photo up on Facebook or Instagram is enough, and it just isn’t.
My boys are so sweet and darling that they need full commentary!
Last Friday was the Feast of the Sacrifice (Eid al-Adha or
Kurban Bayramı), and I decided it was about time we actually celebrated
one of E’s holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas
are coming up, and it’s just not fair that he has missed celebrating his
religious events the last three years while I’ve been able to celebrate mine.
I took the day off on Friday, and we woke up early and drove
up to Salt Lake. Anticipating large
participation, the local Islamic group had rented out a skating rink, and the
floor was covered with prayer rugs.
Families filled the “Fun Center.”
Everyone was dressed in their best clothes, and the little girls were
all in new, fluffy dresses. It looked
like most of the congregation was from the India/Pakistan area. There were only three fair-haired people in
the group (Turk, Tek, and I). We sat on
the side with a few mothers and children while everyone else, including E, knelt on the
prayer rugs. E’s local imam gave a
sermon, and then everyone prayed.
The holiday was established to commemorate Abraham’s
sacrifice (or attempted sacrifice) of Ishmael (in Christianity, we believe it
was Isaac). As part of the holiday, Muslims are required to sacrifice
an animal if they are financially able. 1/3 of the meat is given to
poorer families that could not afford their own sacrifice, 1/3 goes to family,
and 1/3 the family keeps and eats.
I
hoped someone would invited E to join their festivities, but no one
did. As we were about to leave, I told him I was disappointed we wouldn’t be able to participate in a sacrifice, so
he ran back into the Fun Center and asked if anyone was sacrificing.
He found out that there is actually a mosque a few miles away
and people were sacrificing there, so we drove over. The mosque is quite lovely, and I’m sorry
that we had never been there before. Unfortunately, Turk did not cooperate for pictures.
In a lot next to the mosque, a man had several pens full of lambs
for sale.
People bought the lambs and sacrificed them right there on the grass.
It was a very "interesting" experience for me, but I thought
it was important for my boys to see this part of their heritage. Most of the people at this mosque were from Saudi
Arabia and Africa, and E actually knew several people from school.
We were able to watch the sacrifice of a few animals. I am not accustomed to the blood and entrails
and such—particularly since I’m not from a hunting family—but I did my best to
be supportive.
One of E’s school friends had bought a lamb and wanted to
share with us. He is a single student
and very generously gave us an entire leg—including the hoof. It was definitely a bit disturbing for me to
see the hoof hanging out of our bag.
The weather was freezing, and the boys were shaking, so we
decided to go to lunch in Salt Lake for Turkish food as part of our celebration
and then headed to my mom’s house for guidance in trimming our leg. She was a very good sport, allowing us to cut
off the hoof and trim off the meat at her house. It was quite an event as E and I tried to
figure out how to be butchers, and I tried to keep from grimacing.
Of course, none of us actually like eating lamb, so that
night, when one of my friends came over, we gave her a big bag of meat; the next night
we had a BBQ with E’s friends and served a lot of lamb (and beef and chicken); and now I need to make a stew and serve my dad
couscous.

No comments:
Post a Comment