Saturday, September 18, 2010

Finally, an Update

I have been terrible about updating this blog since we moved to Provo. I don’t know if it is because our lives are so busy or because they are just so boring.

I went to work the day after I arrived, so I feel like I am still playing catch-up. I enjoy my work, and especially my coworkers, but although I only work part-time, I feel like I’m always at work and forever behind in unpacking, cleaning, and laundry. It probably has something to do with working Friday nights and Saturdays (although alternating).

E is keeping busy at school. He’s taking a TOEFL prep class and discovering that an American education is much more rigorous than a Turkish one. He has several hours of homework every night. In Turkey, the grading system is based on exams, so he had serious cram sessions a few times a semester and was basically free the rest of the time.

Despite all the work, E is having a great attitude. I’ve really enjoyed many of his impressions on American life. He loves some things (like flip-flops and school crossing guards) and can’t fathom other things (like no one walking on the streets and having to drive in your lane if there is no other traffic around you).

He’s also really taken to domestic life. He spends hours every weekend manicuring the lawn; and although he has never had pets (pets aren’t common in Turkey), he dotes on my parents two cats. I don’t think either of those cats has ever experienced so much attention and affection in their lives—and they’re certainly not receiving it from me. E is paranoid about the animals spending the night away from home, and if I let him, he would invite the cats into bed with us every night. Last weekend, we dog sat for my sister, so we had one very crowded bed (if the dog could sleep with us, then so could the cats).

I worry a lot about E because I know how difficult it can be to adjust to a different country and culture. I try to keep our schedule packed. He went to the dentist (not fun), and we’ve gone to several movies, hung out with some of my friends and family, and even attended a play at a community theater. He’s starting to develop friends at school, so I’m happy for that.

As for Baby B. We went to the doctor two days after we arrived, and Baby B seems to be progressing well. I am now 30 weeks and can’t believe I only have 10 more to go. I’m discovering, though, that the third trimester is not as fun as the second. I am incredibly tired again—but maybe that just has to do with changing time zones and jumping into work—and Baby B is pressing on my lungs so breathing isn’t a breeze anymore. That said, we can’t wait for his arrival.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update. I'm sure you guys are both very busy. Although it sounds like your both doing well. Thank goodness. I'm sure your both getting very anxious for the arrival of Baby B. I hope you don't plan on working two much longer.Your going to need all the rest you can get before the Babys born because you won't get much rest when he gets here. Love you Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Jenny is right. When Baby B arrives, you'll think, "hey, this little guy was so much easier to carry around with us when we didn't need a diaper bag." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! I'm glad you're finally here in Utah. Good luck with these last 10 weeks of pregnancy; I admit they are the longest. I hated the heartburn and not being able to breath as well. Just make sure to get plenty of sleep, because, when he gets here, you won't be sleeping much. I may be up in Utah County this weekend, since my sister, Becca, is having her first baby this week. Are you staying with your parents? I'd love to see you when I'm up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette, I'd love to see you. My parents are in DC for a few months, so we're housesitting (very convenient for us). I'll send you my phone number on facebook.

    ReplyDelete