Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Afghani Childbirth

Yesterday, my Afghani student was assuring me that childbirth is easy. In Afghanistan, the doctors also insist on doing C-sections. I gather it is because they are so busy that they try to schedule everyone's deliveries. Alia, however, absolutely refused to have a C-section. Instead, she went into the hospital, had her baby naturally, and went home. I asked if this was normal. Yes, she assured me, any woman who has a natural childbirth will only spend a few hours in the hospital. In fact, just last week her sister-in-law went to the hospital at 1 pm and left at 4 pm. With her new baby. I'm not sure what I think about this. Clearly, Afghani women are much stronger than I will ever be.

1 comment:

  1. It is so exciting to hear that Baby B is making his presence known. It is so thrilling to feel that little person move. Just want you to know that although I did have a few overnight stays, I don't think I would have been thrilled to have had the baby and left from the "recovery room." I too am a wimp.

    ReplyDelete