I guess it’s about time I updated my blog with a few highlights from the last month:
- I spent about 10 days in San Diego. My parents went to SD the week before I got to the US, so if I wanted to see them, I had to fly to California. I know, a real sacrifice. Fortunately, I was able to time my trip with a visit from my sister and her three girls (and another sister and her baby girl and an aunt I haven't seen for maybe 20 years). I loved seeing everyone. Unfortunately, the weather was freakishly cold, so I didn’t get to spend hours in the pool like I planned. However, hours with my family—and a few trips to Souplantation—were good enough for me.

- I actually received a job offer while I was in the US. I was tempted to take it, but it was located in a city several hours from my family and the pay was insultingly low for a faculty position. Ultimately, I decided I would rather be back with my husband in Turkey than alone in the US for the next year (well, alone until the baby arrives).
- The day before leaving, I had a 20-week ultrasound. The technician was very thorough and the doctor downright spunky. I was happy to see Baby again and to hear in English that everything seems to be ok. I also got proof positive that Baby B is indeed a boy! I just felt sad that I got to experience the ultrasound without my husband. However, he made up for it by promptly changing his facebook profile photo to Baby's boy bits. Poor Baby!

- My family was extremely generous and gave me loads of things for Baby. I feel overwhelmed by their kindness, and Baby B will definitely be a well-dressed little boy. I took an entire suitcase of baby clothes back with me, and I think E is still in shock. He says he’s never owned so many clothes in his entire life.
- It took several hours longer than expected, but I finally arrived back in Erzurum late Sunday night. I was thrilled to see E waiting for me at the airport, and I had a hard time holding back tears of joy. One of my students was on the same flight. We were delayed for two hours in Istanbul, and he very kindly bought me dinner and gave E and me a ride home from the airport. E did a great job preparing for my arrival. The apartment was clean and the refrigerator full of fresh fruit. Of course, the first thing he wanted to do was watch Baby B’s ultrasound DVD. I swear he missed his baby more than he missed me!
No comments:
Post a Comment