For the record, I also think it’s unfair for a pregnant woman who is already dealing with breathing, heartburn, gas, and even walking issues to be sick. Come on! I’ve also recently discovered that bending over is basically impossible, but I did finally buy a box of prilosec. I’m still the gas queen and could burp you the alphabet at any time (sorry, but true), but at least I no longer have acid reflux while I’m sleeping. Nice.
MONDAY
I had a super runny nose, but I tried to disinfect everything I touched at work, so I hope none of my coworkers got sick. However, it’s pretty safe to assume that I caught the cold from dealing with the public all day, so everyone else is doomed as well. That night, we had a work meeting, so I didn’t get home until about 10:30 pm. I won’t complain about the meeting, though, because a) my coworkers now read this blog and b) they totally surprised me by giving me baby gifts. Baby B is now the proud owner of his second book (the first from his Aunt Kimberly), a super cute frame (can’t wait to put his pic in it), a cutie beanie (E is so jealous it won’t fit his own head), and a very generous Target gift certificate. Yay Target!
I was happy for the Baby bootie, but I was a bit concerned because not only was I so sick, but I had to wake up early, early Tuesday morning.
TUESDAY
Before E and I moved to the US, we decided I would take the GRE again this fall. (The last time I took it, I was 20—it’s hard to believe I was ever so young or so ambitious. What happened to that girl?) It was my second-trimester honeymoon period, and I actually believed if I didn’t find a job, or even if I was working part-time, I could use my free time to study for the GRE. And maybe I’d even work on my novel at the same time. Hahahahahahaha. Little did I know that I would soon be so exhausted that studying would be a huge chore and writing not an option.
I considered just skipping the GRE several times. After all, I haven’t taken math since I was a senior in high school—and that was a LONG time ago. Plus, studying for analogies is just a joke. I reviewed as much as I could (okay, that’s a total lie), took several disastrous practice tests, and was positive I would fail.
However, I’d spent the big bucks on the GRE, so dragged my snotty body out of bed early Tuesday morning. I arrived at the testing center at 7:30, and they wouldn’t even let me take in my tissue (I understand why, but gosh I needed it). As I took the exam, I knew I was failing, and I hate that feeling. At the end, though, I scored much better than I had anticipated—and much better than my practice tests. Now, of course, the obvious question is what will I do with these new scores?
WEDNESDAY
Two words: Visiting Teaching.
THURSDAY
On Thursday, I finally went to the dentist. I haven’t been for years—first, I was in graduate school and then I moved to Turkey—and my gums have been a bloody mess since I got pregnant. I was sure I had a million cavities, and “everyone” recommends pregnant women see the dentist (Of course, they also say I should have gone about 10 weeks ago. Whoops!), so I made an appointment.
As soon as I sat in the dental chair, though, I felt absolutely pukey. I don’t know what it was, but there must have been some smell that did not sit well with me and Baby B—fluoride? rubber gloves? When the hygienist lowered my chair—not exactly the best position for a pregnant lady anyway—I knew I had to say something. I apologized but explained that I couldn’t go on with the cleaning. Talk about embarrassing. Fortunately, I was able to wait for the dentist to arrive and didn’t puke while he looked at my teeth. And the best news of all was no cavities. Yay! Unfortunately, after my humiliating trip to the dentist, I had to go take care of a bunch of insurance business (headache, headache), but I kept my cookies down all day.
FRIDAY
I didn’t have work until the afternoon, so I made an appointment with the county health building to teach E and me how to install our carseat properly. I have a huge “to do” list, and I wanted to check that one off as soon as possible. Of course, we did a miserable job installing the base. Our poor baby will be lucky to survive having two new parents. Hopefully, though, we learned the right things to do because we actually had to remove the base a few hours later when I took E and his friends to Friday prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment