Monday, September 12, 2011

AWOL

I don’t know how I became such a terrible blogger, but I’m repenting and changing my ways. Okay, that might not be exactly true, but at least I’m adding a post to the blog.

Life has been both exciting and boring for our little family. We planned to move at the end of last school year, and I even seriously considered taking a job back in Turkey. However, my parents’ changed everything by moving to Finland for a year and offering us their house again. For several reasons (I’ll talk more about those later), we decided to stay in Provo, and E started school at UVU. Hopefully, I’ll also be gainfully employed again one of these days.

We’ve enjoyed spending time with our family here. Turk loves his cousins Gemma, Noah, and Bridger so we try to play with them as much as possible.




Turk is also madly in love with his Baba and wishes he could spend every moment with him. Yes, this does hurt my feelings a bit.


Turk has grown so much in the last month. He’s crawling, and that changes everything. He goes everywhere, and he gets into everything. He stands up all the time, including in his bed, and is constantly falling and banging his head. I swear he never runs out of energy. He’s always go, go, go, and I, for one, am absolutely exhausted and in constant fear for his safety.


One reason I wanted to stay here was because of Turk’s health. I knew he was losing weight while we were in Turkey, but I didn’t realize how bad it was. He is such a happy and energetic child that I was pretty shocked at his 9-month appointment a couple weeka ago to discover that he isn’t growing. In the last three months, he has grown ¼ inch and ½ pound. I felt horrible. I had suspected my milk supply was dwindling, but I didn’t realize how much. I was starving my child and had no clue because he is always so happy and content. I had tried to feed him formula because I knew he wasn’t getting enough nutrients, but he refused to take it. Fortunately, we have pushed and persisted, and he now takes his formula and I can already see him filling out. I’ve been pretty traumatized as his mom. It is difficult to no longer nurse and even more difficult to know that my poor baby has been going hungry despite supplementing his diet with solids. Boo hoo. We go back to the doctor in two weeks, and I hope Turk will get a clean bill of health.

2 comments:

  1. You've described exactly how I felt as Jane dwindled down and her cheeks sunk in when I lost my milk. I felt like a failure but seeing her start to thrive again on formula helped to heal me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that Turk was not getting the correct amount of nurishment & that he wasn't gaining weight. Hopefully now your on the right path. He is such a sweetie. We would really like it if the three of you could come and visit us someday. Love you guys. Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete