Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Baby Talk

I got back to Erzurum to discover E was a mess. While I was gone, he did not eat and only smoked. He'd lost weight (I thought it was impossible) and looked terrible. He said he couldn't sleep while I was gone and had no appetite. It was both sweet and pathetic.

E and I have been talking a lot about starting a family. After seeing him yesterday, I said he was not ready to take care of a child. He has spent the last 30 hours trying to prove otherwise. He has started smoking outside, scheduled a doctor's appointment (because of the weight issues), and bought me a huge tub of yogurt for calcium. He is both ridiculous and darling, and I am happy about these changes.

P.S. We talked about names last night. E gave me two options for a son: Akil or Umar. I voted for neither. I'm not sure how I can explain to my proud husband that an Arabic name is a liability in the U.S. What is wrong with our country?

4 comments:

  1. The Hyer's have a son named Jihad. He's been fine in life so I'm sure your child would do great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, that was exactly what I needed to hear. The name Akil is growing on me--but it seems much too close to "I kill." Eser assures me I can name our next baby Isa (Jesus). Hmm, not really the name I want. Let's just pray we only have girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened at E"s Drs. appt.Did he get something to help him stop smoking?And what about his weight? Take care , Love You AuntJenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, he has yet to go because he has to get some sort of permission from the university (I don't really understand it). He did start playing soccer this week, so that can only be good for his health.

    ReplyDelete