Monday, April 12, 2010

Lunch Date

One of my female students invited me to her home today for lunch. It was just me and about 20 of her female classmates. I really enjoy these out-of-class activities because the students practice their English in a non-threatening environment (i.e., no boys in the classroom to make them nervous).

When I'm with my female students, though, I also remember that living in Turkey is a bit like living in 1950s America. The girls basically have five questions for me:
  • Do I like having a Turkish husband?
  • Do I want to live in Turkey forever?
  • What's it like to have a love marriage (versus an arranged marriage)?
  • Do I know how to make my husband Turkish food?
  • Do I want to have a baby soon?
Regardless, they were very sweet and worked very hard to make traditional Turkish food: the kind of food I do NOT know how to make for my husband.

(One of these things is not like the others.)

However, my potatoes last night were a success. If you can't tell, in this lovely picture, E's beard is covered with potato.

1 comment:

  1. We would like to know the answers to the same five questions. Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete