The incredible rainstorm of 2010 continues. I can’t remember the last day we didn’t have rain. My sweet husband even walked through the storm on Tuesday night to pick me up when I finished school at 9 pm. Of course, he’s now sick with a fever.
Despite E’s illness, we took advantage of a brief break in the rain this afternoon to go into the city. The sun was actually shining, and we were shocked by the heat (it was in the 70s!)—even if it only lasted for a few hours.
According to Turkish law, both E and I have to report our marriage to local police and change our identifications to reflect our marital status. Since we’ve been married about three months, we decided we should finally head to the police station and take care of the paperwork.
Our first stop was the office for foreigners (or something to that effect). The police officer said we would have to change my residence permit from a work permit to a marriage permit. And that change would require me to pay 1200 lira a year versus 150! We were not very happy about that news. The officer made a few calls and finally told us not to report the marriage and leave it as a work permit. Hmmm. I’m all for paying less money, but I’m not a fan of a fishy system.
E decided he'd change his identification later (who knows when), and we headed back to campus. On the way, we came across a little bazaar where students were raising money for the poor (I think). They were selling food (I ate cake) and clothes (I bought a pair of earrings). I have loads of clothes that I don’t wear, so I asked E if there is anywhere in Erzurum I can donate my clothes. His answer? No one in Erzurum wears my style of clothing. For rude!
We still had some free time, so we decided to watch a movie. Movies in English aren’t exactly plentiful, so we agreed to see Halloween II. Why they are showing Halloween in May, I don’t know, but I will say it was the most violent, foul, and disgusting movie I’ve ever seen. I spent the entire time covering my eyes. I wouldn’t have minded walking out, but E seemed very intrigued by how truly horrible American films can be.
No comments:
Post a Comment