Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shoe Shopping

On Saturday, E and I headed to the mall to buy him a coat. Erzurum has become the rain capital of the world. It rains everyday. And it doesn't just rain, it pours. Yesterday, I got caught in a rain/hail storm walking home and was completely soaked by the time I arrived. Despite the rain, it is too warm for E's winter coat but not warm enough for his jacket. Thus the trip to the mall.

When we were dating, E was horrified by the amount of shoes I own. I admit I have a few pairs, but I have many, many more back in the US. Since we've married, though, he has become a shoe horse himself. He'd already bought two pairs of athletic shoes, and we left the mall on Saturday with two more pairs (and not a coat).

I'm not sure what is happening, but E is convinced that I am growing taller or he is growing shorter. Or maybe the problem is my shoes. Either way, he insisted that I buy a pair of flat flats when we were at the mall. I didn't want to do it because I'm very picky about my shoes and they are extremely expensive here. But I left with a new pair of very flat and pricey shoes. Hopefully they will calm his fears that he is shrinking. I haven't been able to wear them yet, though, because it is completely rainy and muddy outside.

Last night, we had dinner with Mike and his mother who is visiting from the states. It was very nice to chat with them, but I got the impression that his mother is quite afraid of Turks. I'm not exactly sure why. Even E asked me about it when we got home. Mike did mention that his boss (and my future boss) told him my paperwork was finished. Interesting. It might be nice if someone told ME. Now I just have to see if my contract (if it really exists) includes all the things I asked for: vacation, my apartment, and insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment