Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ramazan, Day 2

I’ve discovered one way Turks cope with fasting during the hottest month of the year: sleep. E stays up during the night hours and then tries to sleep away as many daylight hours as possible. I’m not sure how sleeping gels with the spiritual side of Ramadan, but I guess whatever works. . .

So far, E hasn’t had any problems with the not-eating part. After all, he hardly eats as it is. It is the not drinking, and particularly the not smoking, that gets to him. Unfortunately, chewing Nicorette would defeat the purpose.

I haven’t been fasting, but I’ve felt unusually hungry. It’s like my body thinks it has to fast so is eating everything it possibly can. I keep drinking, but I feel incredibly parched. Of course, that could be my continued fever and cold. I don’t know when I’m going to beat this thing. I woke up yesterday because of loud snoring. It turns out it wasn’t snoring—it was me breathing through my mouth. My lungs were so congested that every breath I took was as loud as a snore. Yowzers.

I’m not having very good body luck. The other day, I somehow managed to slide on a slippery bit of sidewalk. I did amazing things with my body, incredible contortions, to keep from falling. I know I looked like an absolute freak, but all I could think about was protecting Baby. Since then, my body has ached like crazy. I’m already struggling with walking up to my fourth-floor apartment, but now I find it nearly impossible. I am seriously an old woman.

Despite the heat, and it is hot, I noticed today that the leaves are already changing color and falling to the ground. It has been a hot summer in Erzurum, but it will end soon. Now, the real question is whether or not I will be spending the fall here.

E and I went to my department today to find out about my books and office. I talked to the chair who said my contract is still in limbo. The university has approved everything, but it is waiting on Ankara’s final approval. And when will that approval come? Maybe September. Maybe October. Maybe October? School starts at the end of September. I know this is classic Turkey, but how can I wait until October? Not only am I bored out of my mind, but I’m also not getting a paycheck or insurance while I wait and wait and wait . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment