Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ramazan Wife

A few more observations on Ramazan thus far:

I guess the university took pity on all the people suffering during Ramazan because they actually turned the hot water back on. Yay!!!

Timing is everything, and I haven’t quite got it. As soon as we hear the evening call to prayer, E is ready to eat. That means I need to time dinner to be ready at that exact time. This is no small feat. So far, I’ve been a bit too early. I’m trying to be creative and give E lots of food options. Of course, by the time he can actually eat, his stomach is so small that he can only take in a bit of food before feeling full. And I have all this lovely food just sitting on the table. Sigh.

Speaking of stomach problems, I’m not doing well with the late-night/early-morning hours. E stays up until about 4 am, which causes serious havoc on my sleep. And when I don’t get enough good sleep, I am a crazy monster. The other option is to stay up with him—but then he insists I eat breakfast with him at 2:30 am. Early-morning eating causes extreme havoc on my digestive system. There’s no winning.

Erzurum is eerily silent during those first few minutes after the call to prayer. Our table is next to the window, and there are literally no sounds. No cars. No one walking. No children playing. Everyone is at home eating. I’ve never heard the city so quiet.

The university is doing construction projects in our complex, and I feel so sorry for those men who are slaving away outside in the extreme heat with no food or drink. I have a lot more opinions on the construction, but that’s for another post.

E has one more final tomorrow afternoon. He was supposed to have a final this afternoon, but his professor changed it to yesterday morning. I thought that was pretty petty. First, how can you just change a final date and time the day before? Second, when a professor knows all the students are awake until at least 4 am because of Ramazan, isn’t it a bit cruel to give an early-morning final exam?

4 comments:

  1. What has the University said about your expecting? Could that be the holdup on your contract? Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. The university hasn't said anything. They say the delay is with the country's ministry of education and not the university. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the Call to prayer, Do they ring a bell or something? Or is it just the time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practicing Muslims pray 5 times a day at specific times. The time changes everyday, though, because it is based on the sunrise and sunset. In Muslim countries (like Turkey), a man reads passages from the Koran on a loudspeaker so everyone in the neighborhood can remember it is time to pray.

    ReplyDelete