Sunday, June 13, 2010

Istanbul, Part 1

E and I have come to Istanbul for a week before I head to the US and he returns to Erzurum for summer school. We had mixed feelings as we left our apartment since I still don’t have a firm work contract. For now, all our things are in the apartment—even if we have to vacate it when we get back. A group of young men—who must be foreign exchange students—have moved in next door, shattering our peaceful little floor, so we weren’t too sorry to leave.

At the airport, I remembered why I love Erzurum. I am taking two big suitcases since in theory Turkish Airlines still lets you check two free bags internationally. Technically, I was allowed one 15-kg suitcase on my domestic flight. I had two 20-kg suitcases, so I was sure I’d have to pay a huge fee. But the people at the airport didn’t say a thing, and I didn’t pay a dime. Beautiful.

E’s family was waiting for us at the airport in Istanbul, and it’s nice to see their joy. Of course, they are concerned—as I am—that E is so thin. And I’m sure it’s a poor reflection on me as a wife. They also think I’m too thin, which is nice to hear since in reality I am huge and afraid of the scale when I get home.

E’s family treats me like a princess, and I feel spoiled rotten. The first time I was here, they coddled me as a bride. This time, they coddle me because I’m pregnant. Tonight, we were with two of E’s heavily pregnant aunts, and I felt ridiculous to be so pampered in their presence. But they are having girls, and I’m having a boy.

E always tells me he’s from the ghetto, and I finally saw it today now that it’s summer. Children play in the streets amid speeding cars. Three covered women pushed a shopping cart full of fruit from the nearby bazaar. Many buildings are clearly hand built. I hope E will let me explore the neighborhood although he has it in his mind it is unsafe to do so.

2 comments:

  1. It was very nice to read about everything going on in your life. Congraulations to you both on the baby. I'm sure you are very excited.How long will you be staying in the U.S.?Adam would be a great name. Love you, Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenny. I'm not sure how long I'll be in the US. I hope I can see most of my family while I'm here, but I'm not sure I can stay away from E too long without missing him too much :)

    ReplyDelete