My in-laws are skeptical of Erzurum medical care—as am I—so they took me to see a doctor yesterday. The appointment was what I imagined a proper prenatal visit would be. They drew blood (I didn’t warn them I’m a bleeder, so they were a bit surprised), took my blood pressure, and weighed me. I was absolutely mortified to be weighed in front of my husband, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law. I swear I weigh as much as the three of them combined.
We did an ultrasound, and my in-laws were delighted to see the little boy (probably) relaxing inside of me. I still can’t believe it’s real—that a little person is just hanging out in my body.
The doctor gave me practical advice—drink 10 cups of water a day (I pee every second as it is!), drink milk, eat fruits and veggies, take an evening promenade.
After the doctor, E wanted to visit some friends. Unfortunately, he got terribly lost and spent hours trying to find the address. By the time we got there, I was hot and my back ached, so I wasn’t as patient with the mother as I could have been. She is a super-Muslim (the burqa-wearing kind) and told me I should change my name to something more suitable. She gave me a prayer rung and prayer beads and told me she hoped I would convert. E wasn’t there, and I had a difficult time accepting her gifts graciously.
We finished an already long day by visiting E’s grandfather and his third wife. Grandfather wasn’t too interested in me. And grandma just said I’m fat. Lovely.
I went to bed last night hot, tired, aching, and in tears. Fortunately, I have a wonderful husband who just held me as I cried and told me how much he loves me. It’s hard for me to control my emotions sometimes, but really I am so fortunate to have such a sweet husband and this little peanut on the way. I worry about so many things, but I can’t really ask for more than I already have.
I am so grateful that you have a sweet and loving husband. I wonder why people feel free to make comments about one's personal appearance. Wait until you see Dad. I too, must weigh more than my husband. Since he became ill he has lost 20 pounds. He has gained back 8 of those. He looks thin and I was worried he would lose his shorts today on our walk on the beach. He kept pulling them up. Anyway, I am not too anxious for anyone to comment on the fact that I need desperately to lose weight. The fact is; I already know that one. And peanut does not need you dieting at this stage. Pretty soon you'll feel a little butterfly when you lie down to rest. The he will feel so much more real to you. :)
ReplyDelete