Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Foul Temper

I've been in a pretty bad temper at work lately. I turned in all my paperwork to work here next year. After I turned it in, they called me to tell me my CV and coverletter had to be in Turkish. They do know, don't they, that I don't speak Turkish? So last night, E and some of his friends translated all my materials. They were super. And then E introduced them all to UNO, the greatest cardgame on earth. Of course, I took in my translations today, and they said I needed even more paperwork. Sigh.

On Monday, I went to class to discover another teacher had been assigned the same room. So my class had to go on the amazing journey for an empty classroom. Apparently, the department can't find another classroom, so my 4-hour class might turn into a 3-hour class. Really? That's the solution?

This morning, the technology in my class failed. This afternoon, the technology in another classroom failed. I was particularly peaved about it because I had spent hours and hours preparing a multimedia presentation that was now defunct. I was also pretty disappointed with my students' behavior.

Last week, I told them they would have a quiz on the reading. I got to class to discover no one had done the reading and expected me to cancel the quiz because no one had done the reading. Are you kidding me? I was already in a bad mood because of the broken technology. I was really in a bad mood when my students were so disrespectful. I gave them the quiz and kicked out a student who gave me attitude. These same students are working on a semester project. I discovered after class that they had completely disregarded the directions I gave them because they were inconvenient for them. I really cannot comprehend such lackluster work habits.

Everything combined just made me feel so frustrated. I love my job. I love my students. I just wish they valued their education as much as I do. I was ready to throw in the towel today, but then I remembered I have a cutie husband here. I got home tonight after a 13-hour day to discover dinner on the table, despite the fact he's burning up with a fever. I guess some work frustrations are worth a life with E.

No comments:

Post a Comment