Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday Edition

E has gone to watch football with some other raging Trabzonspor fans, so I decided to make another batch of precious chocolate chip cookies. This time, I used different butter and double the chocolate, and I think they are much improved. Maybe a year from now (assuming I still have brown sugar), I'll have perfected the Turkish recipe.

While we were walking today, we saw a really cute car for sale, and it is actually a decent price (in Turkish terms; cars are so expensive here). For the first time, we are considering the possibility of buying a car (we joke about it all the time). True, having a car isn't a necessity. We can really walk and take the bus anywhere we need to go. BUT the freedom of having a car, of going where we want, when we want, of not suffering in the freezing cold, is pretty intoxicating. We'll see if reason or desire will win out.

I was very surprised, after our walk this afternoon and listening to the call to prayer, when I saw E rolling up his pantlegs. I knew immediately what he was doing: he was going to wash his feet (and hands and face) to pray. This is the first time I've seen him pray, and I have very mixed feelings about it. I am proud of him for actually practicing what he preaches. But I also wonder what kind of person he will become if he is truly active in his religion. I married the believer, not the practicer. I guess time will tell.

After praying, though, he said to me, "Everyday, I fall in love with you more. This morning, when I saw you, my heart hurt because I love you so much." I definitely won't grow tired of that E.

No comments:

Post a Comment