Saturday, March 27, 2010

Latest Work Craziness

My work situation continues to boggle my mind.

I use multimedia in all my lessons, so I really depend on classroom computers and projectors. This week, the building management changed the locks to all the computers in the classrooms . . . without telling anyone . . . or giving new keys. Imagine my delight when I went to class to discover I could no longer unlock the tech cabinet. Gosh, I love my university!

I've also had very limited access to my office this week. As I mentioned before, my department has decided to use my office to store books. So this week, they have moved hundreds of dusty, smelly books into my office (I can hardly breathe in there). And my office has been crowded with students cataloging these books. Yesterday, I came to discover my office full of books, students, and an addition of three or four metal cabinets. There literally was no space for me to even enter the room. How do they expect me to work when I have no office? And shouldn't they have waited until the semester was over before they converted it to a storage facility? Argh and foo and grrr.

On Thursday, the embassy's "cultural attaché" came to Erzurum. Mike and I had lunch with him, then I attended a meeting with him and my department. It was amazing to watch the diplomatic "schmoozing" (that is my diplomatic term for lying) that goes on to satisfy everyone.

Afterwards, I somehow got finagled into attending a very long high school awards show with the attaché. It included speeches and a lot of singing:



Without a doubt, though, the highlight was the traditional Erzurum dance. This dance kills me everytime. Not only do the costumes make the men look like they are wearing diapers, but they do this remarkable knife dance. So far, I haven't seen anyone decapitated or defaced:


No comments:

Post a Comment