On Friday, I had a class with a few faculty members that included a professor of theology, a pulmonologist, and an OBGYN. Because I am recently married, they all decided they needed to add their opinion to the subject:
The OBGYN asked me how old I am. He then assured me that I am still young enough to have a healthy pregnancy. I guess it's good to know that if or when I get (or try to get) pregnant, I know a good doctor. (Though I would only ask him for a recommendation. I can't imagine having one of my students as my OB!)
The theology professor assured me that as long as I believe in God, Allah has no problem with our interfaith marriage. He said the real concern is a conflict of culture, but as long as there is love, communication, and respect, we can have a successful marriage. I really appreciated his words.
The pulmonologist insisted that E must stop smoking immediately (I completely agree) for my safety. The OBGYN agreed and said a woman must be smoke-free two months before conceiving. I told them I'd share their opinions with E, but I wasn't sure he'd listen. The pulmonolgist suggested that if E wouldn't listen to doctors, he must surely listen to God. Maybe, he said, our theology professor could make a fatwā for E, forbidding smoking. We all got a kick out of that.
Of course, E and I spend a lot of time discussing the smoking issue. He recognizes that he is putting me in danger. But he has already given up so much in his past that he asks me to give him time to give this up also, and I have to concede.
No comments:
Post a Comment